Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Week 2, Day 3


OK, y'all, sorry for being so amazingly tardy with this.  Saturday was a busy-but-awesome day for me, Sunday I had a little extra stress & Monday I just came home to veg out after a nuts day at work.  Here's the skinny on Friday:

  • Diet
    • Breakfast - CHEAT 2 Bacon Egg Cheese Croissan'Wiches, 1 Minibon, Red Shake to drink
    • Lunch - Naked Qdoba burrito (black beans, grilled chicken, mild salsa, lettuce, queso & guacamole), water to drink
    • Dinner - Chicken & pasta, Romain lettuce, water to drink
  • Exercise
    • None - I've let my bum knee & ankle be an easy excuse
I decided that instead of having a single Cheat Day on which I would eat like crap, I would have 3 Cheat Meals & a Cheat Snack that I could choose to use throughout the week.  Obviously, I used one of meals here & if you remember back to Wednesday, I had also already used my Cheat Snack.

Here's the important part, though: I did make it in to train!  I kept my knee & ankle wrapped up tight all day at work, iced it regularly, popped some Aleve & headed right over at the end of the day.  Got to do the drilling class & competition class with Daniel.  They were both a lot of fun, but at the same time they were very humbling.  In the drilling class, I'd said that I had to sit out of about half of the activities because my knee wouldn't have fared well.  I wanted to be in there doing everything that everyone else was, but it just wasn't an option, unfortunately.  We rolled at the end of Drill Class, which went pretty well.  I went first with Matt (white belt), who mounted me pretty quickly (my knee wouldn't allow me to fight hard to maintain guard), so I spent the majority of the round playing defense.  Next round I rolled with Mo (purple belt).  When I mentioned my knee, he was instantly super cool & asked me how I wanted to work.  We ended up spending the time working on my bottom mount defense.  He'd attack for awhile, then pause & offer some tips to adjust, then we'd get back to work & I'd try to implement what he suggested.  I felt a lot more confident by the time the 5min were up.  Last round, I went with a white belt whose name I can't remember for the life of me (I know for a fact that he's told me multiple times & he's been at the gym for a long time now, but I can't remember.  Sorry man).  Anyway, we just did some situational sparring (him in mount needing a submissions, me mounted needing a sweep/pass).  I was able to apply a lot of the things that Mo had shown me & was pretty successful, even with a bum knee.

Overall, my ankle wasn't much of an issue.  It was mainly just "tired" through the class.  My knee was the one that would twinge & complain if I tried to make it do something it didn't want to.  Fortunately, I was able to take the rest of the weekend to rest them both.  I haven't iced them nearly as much as I should (I think the last time I had ice on them was sometime yesterday morning), but they're doing alright.  I'm headed back into the gym tonight (Week 3, Day 1), so I'll be posting more about that later tonight.  Until then, I'll see y'all around the intra-webs.

No comments:

Post a Comment