Thursday, September 20, 2012

Week 2, Day 1



Man, aren't all my titles just really deep & insightful??  Yeah, I'm not buying that crock either.  Let's be honest, I'm not smart enough to re-invent the wheel, so I'm just keeping it simple.  Real quick, let's get the boring mundane stuff out of the way:
  •  Diet:
    • Breakfast - 3 eggs & a bowl of cereal, milk to drink
    • Lunch - Chicken Caesar salad, water to drink
    • Cheat - my manager brought in doughnut holes yesterday morning.  I held out until about 2pm, but I finally caved & had a raspberry -filled one.
    • Snack - Greek Yogurt Bar, more water to drink
    • Dinner - "The Regular" (see future post about food), sweet tea to drink
  • Exercise
    • 10 push-ups
    • 10 burpees
    • 10 squats
    • 30 bicycles
Now the fun stuff:
  • Training:
    • Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Fundamentals
      • Top position:
        • How to clear your opponent's elbow if he gets it inside to make space (switch hips to kesa gatame, control tricep, switch hips back to head & arm)
        • How to secure & finish an arm-triangle if your opponent passes his "free" are over your head (pin arm between your head & opponent's, pass to mount, lock up arm triangle grip, dismount into opposite side control, move perpendicular &shrug shoulders to finish)
      • Bottom position:
        • How to recover your guard (knee in the hip, elbow inside hip, opposite forearm framing on opponent's throat, hip away & insert knee, extend away to make space & wrap a leg around for partial guard, escape hips to side of trapped foot to allow full guard recovery)
      • Positional sparring:
        • Upper belts on bottom side control, white belts on top with "good arm control".  White belt needs mount/submission to win, upper belt needs closed guard/submission to win
          • Worked twice with ____ (man, it is really embarrassing how terrible I am with names.  Not even kidding either).  First time I was over eager trying to pass to mount & he was able to use the space to insert a knee.  From there it was a downhill battle until I ended up back in his guard & then quickly swept into mount.  The second time I was more control-oriented & didn't compromise my position.  Each time he made space or got an elbow/knee inside, I stopped what I was doing, address the threat & then got back to work.  I patiently focused on his far-side arm, was able to isolate it & eventually got him to tap to a kimura.
          • Rolled once with Andrew.  He got half guard pretty quickly, but from there I was able to maintain top control.  Lots of fancy trickery going on, but I did my best to just focus on balance, underhooks, pressure, etc.  Bell ended the round before Andrew decided to stop toying with me.
    • Muay Thai Fundamentals
      • Warm-Up:
        •  Partner cario - do 10 jump squats, then kick your feet into your partner's hands & wheelbarrow the length of the gym.  He then does 10 jump squats & you wheelbarrow him back.  Lather, rinse repeat.  I was able to get through 7 lengths in the 5min.  Best part, though, was having Dax yelling at me "You got 9lbs to lose, Ben, pick it up!"  Gotta love encouragement from teammates!  Then there's Jarrett: "He looks like a little squirrel when he jumps."  Ah gee, thanks, coach!
      • Footwork:
        • Simple box pattern drill (forward once, left once, back once, right once; forward twice, left twice, back twice, right twice, etc.), then we started working the jab while advancing and eventually the jab-cross while advancing.
      • Drilling rear kicks
        • Worked a coupla rounds of on the pads, back & forth with partners.  Then we put together a basic combo: jab-cross-rear kick.  My roommate Alex is finally starting to get comfortable with this one & is turning his hips over more.  He's consistently able to rock the pad-holder backwards.
      • WAR
        • Final 5min was a burnout.  Both you & your partner have on Thai pads & are trading rear kicks.  The idea is that the instant your partner kicks you, you return a kick faster & harder to make him pay for his impertinence.  Always a killer way to end class.
That's my training recap for today.  Tomorrow I'll work up a more detailed post on my diet & stuff.  Lotsa pics for that one.  Until then, I'll see y'all around the intra-webs.

No comments:

Post a Comment